Monday 31 March 2014

Spring Show

The Northiam Horticulture Society's spring flower show was this past weekend. Fergus, who is the society's President, asked if any of us wanted to enter, so three of us did (plus Fergus). Having attended the autumn show without entering, I wanted to participate this time around. 

The society was founded in 1897, and has around 300 members (I didn't know 300 people lived in Northiam!...yes, I'm joking). From what I've seen and been told, it's a very keen and active group. I was impressed by the enthusiasm and the high quality of work. I'm not aware of anything quite like it back home. It's a great tradition and one that I hope continues for many years to come. 

Entries grouped in specific categories 

We had to drop off our entries between 9-10:30, and then return for the award ceremony at 4 pm. There are 20-30 categories in which you can enter. You could even enter homemade breads, biscuits, marmalade or chutney. Although I've enjoyed making bread lately, I did stick to the flowers. I entered two categories (for the grand price of 40 pence), and was pleasantly surprised to get a first prize for one!  It was for "One variety tree/shrub (up to 3 stems)," for which I entered a Corylopsis pauciflora (which is looking stellar in the garden right now by the circular steps, under the mulberry). I was happy just to be a part of the tradition, but winning a prize made it all the more memorable. I am proud to say that Maria and Yuko both won a prize as well- it was a notable representation from Dixter! 

The winning specimen! 


No comments:

Post a Comment